1. Name:The name of the association shall be Kurdish Women Union – UK.
2. The Kurdish Women Union – UK will offer help and support to Kurdish women newly arriving to the UK.
3. The objective of the Kurdish Women Union are
a. keep an up to date registry of all Kurdish women living in the UK
b. provide support to women bodies in all parts of Kurdistan when links with Kurdish women organisations
c. put in place a strategy to provide assistance to women in any part of Kurdistan when needed
d. co-operate and work with other organisations, universities, bodies and charities to promote issues of women rights in all Kurdistan
e. raise the cultural standards and social status of the Kurdish women in all parts of Kurdistan
f. establish links with other Kurdish women organisations in other countries
g. establish links with all women organisations and bodies in the UK
4. The officials language of communication of Kurdish Women Union will be Kurdish and English.
5. Kurdish Women Union is not a political body and will not have any affiliation to any of the Kurdish political parties working in exile or in Kurdistan. Its main purpose is to serve the women of Kurdistan and bring them together under one umbrella. However, Kurdish Women Union will liase to provide its medical services to any of the parties when needed. Kurdish Women Union will operate under the auspices of Kurdistan National Congress (KNC). The Executive committee will undertake to obtain a charity status for the association
Kurdish Women Union shall admit to membership all Kurdish women. It also welcomes as honorary members non-Kurdish women who sympathise with the Kurdish cause.
All applications for membership shall be considered by the Executive committee who shall decide whether to accept each application.
Memberships will be free for the first two years. Thereafter for those in paid posts a membership fee of £15 per year will be charged.
Members shall meet once a year, date and place of which will be decided at least 3 months in advance by the Executive committee. The Annual General Meeting (AGM) shall
a. elect the officers
b. elect the executive committee every 2 years and appoint other committees as deemed necessary
c. determine the overall policy and direction of the association for the following year
The Executive committee, in the preliminary stage of the organisation of Kurdish Women Union will consist of a chairman, vice-chairman, secretary, liaison officer and two other members all of whom will be elected at the first AGM.
The Executive committee may in due caurse increase the number of its officers and appoint other members (eg accountant etc).
d. Term of office of the Executive committee will be two years in the first instance. Amendments to this may be made in the first AGM.
At the AGM and executive committee meetings
a. only members of Kurdish Women Union – UK have the right to vote.
b. every member shall have one vote including the chairman and in case of equality of votes the chairman shall have a second casting vote.
8. Changes to the constitution
This constitution maybe altered, repealed or added to by a resolution passed by three fourth of the members of Kurdish Women Union – UK who are present in person or by proxy at the special general meeting convened for that purpose after no less than 4 weeks notice had been given to all members of Kurdish Women Union.